Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Raising My Voice

Last week I was able to vote.
This week I wrote a letter to my president and senators.
I am filled with gratitude to those who went before me and made these steps possible.

This morning I heard from my preaching-colleague about stewarding the gifts of God, and it has nothing to do with money and everything to do with the footprint we will leave on this earth, on our loved ones and on every life we touch during our brief time on earth.

So, in my simple understanding as a child of God who was asked to care for our earth-home and with help from 350.org (borrowed their talking points!) these brief words came...

President Obama,
Thank you for your leadership and service to our home country, we are humbled to live in such a place as this. I am writing to ask you, as mother, concerned citizen and person of faith, to veto the bill which legalizes the Keystone Pipeline.

The Keystone XL Pipeline is dangerous, dirty, and destructive.  America's best climate scientists have said that the pipeline will lead to a substantial increase in carbon emissions, as well as threaten America's credibility as a climate leader.
Processing heavier, dirtier tar sands oil will increase the amount of toxic pollutants in communities near refineries that are already suffering from high rates of asthma and cancer. Processing heavier, dirtier tar sands oil will increase the amount of toxic pollutants in communities near refineries that are already suffering from high rates of asthma and cancer. The pipeline will cross more than 1,000 water bodies across 3 states and 875 miles threatening drinking water for people, farms, and ranches with a devastating tar sands spill. The pipeline will cross more than 1,000 water bodies across 3 states and 875 miles threatening drinking water for people, farms, and ranches with a devastating tar sands spill.

In hope,
Pastor Elizabeth Damico

St. Louis Park, MN

No comments:

Post a Comment