Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Damico's Anatomy


For Halloween this year I was a ghost. I didn't really mean to be a ghost, but I found myself lying around with a very pale complexion, lips that resembled the dry desert sand and when I tried to speak I heard myself making incomprehensible noises.

Turns out this ghost needed some medical attention. So after a few troublesome hours I was evacuated out of the village and enjoyed the thrill of a van, boat and ambulance ride all in the middle of the night. Not just any night, but Halloween! I am not writing to gather up some sympathy so I'll spare you the details – but the most important thing I learned this Halloween is that my heart is strong and healthy! Given my family history, I consider this a blessing to be counted! However, I am not holistically strong and healthy so I still have some testing and scoping to do, but I am better than I was that dark and spooky night.

I am writing to share a miracle. Thirteen years ago I met a group of women who have been the most incredible friends a girl could ask for. I could gush for hours (or paragraphs) but I simply do not have the words to articulate how thankful I am for all of these women I met that freshmen year of college on the seventh floor of Hoyum.

Two of these women set aside time and resources and planned a trip all the way up to our little village for a visit. We had fun playing games, talking, hiking, talking – all the usual activities. I did not plan or coordinate this medical drama, but it happened while my two strong and fearless friends were visiting. Right after a game of Skip-Bo my friends said it was time for me to see the medic. As the night unfolded one friend stayed in the village with Micaela and the other came with me to endure an uncomfortable van ride, a dark boat ride and a long ambulance ride to the nearest town. I still am in shock that all this happened at all, let alone while these women were here – but I am thankful for their presence.

I am thankful Sarah was there to wake up with Micaela and tell her I had to leave. I am thankful the other Sarah was with me getting details to and from the doctor and pushing me to let go and let the medical staff do their thing (turns out I'm a bossy and noisy patient). I am thankful Sarah was there to comfort Micaela during a nightmare and that Micaela crawled into bed to get all the love and reassurance she needed. I am thankful the other Sarah was with me counting to four over and over so that I could remember how to breathe.

The real miracle here is the friendship. These ladies are not difficult to be friends with – but the roads we have traveled alone and together have been very, very difficult. Just when I think life might slow down a little, we face another hurdle – but somehow, we always manage to face these hurdles together. I am strong enough to carry their baggage when they need, and they are strong enough to carry mine – even when I fight to let them.

It is weeks like this one when I cannot call myself a “single mom”. When we really, really need it – there is always a partner to step in. This week we had Sarah, Sarah, our chalet family, the school teacher, the pastor and so many others take care of us both. Health, love, friendship, motherhood –its all a holy miracle.   

1 comment:

  1. How frightening for you! I am so thankful that you are doing okay (or at least better). And how blessed you are - the Sarahs are awesome people and I'm so thankful they were there at that exact moment in time for you and Micaela.

    I may be far away, too far for ambulance rides and middle-of-the-night nightmare comforts... but we hold you up too - in love and in prayer. You are my sister and I am sending you as much love as possible from across the ocean this morning. xoxo

    ReplyDelete