Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sing from the mountains


We got off the ferry which was docked on the north side of Lake Chelan and still felt a little like we were swaying. Our land-legs had not returned to us after the plane-light rail-train-bus-ferry whirl wind we had just finished. The princess scampered right onto the awaiting village bus while I found my way to the end of the dock to be sure there was enough help with loading luggage and supplies. The strong, young men swinging bags and boxes like they were beach balls gave me the polite, “Yeah, we got it.” When I climbed onto the bus I found the princess was already situated in a front row seat with 'Grandpa Doug!'. One of the villagers we met on the ferry ride up had sat down next to Micaela and for the first half of the trip up the mountain the kind, elderly man listened to every detail of how the princess lost all six of her teeth. She then looked out the window for about thirty seconds before drifting off to sleep.

The village feels very different this time around. Maybe is the construction and about a hundred miners milling about. Maybe its because we'll be here for such a long time and our chalet is cozy, lived in and now...ours. Maybe its because I'm a part of the staff and not just a visiting musician. Whatever the cause, the community is already knitting us in and feeling like “our” community. I cannot believe its possible to say that after feeling so a part of our little town in Oregon and leaving so many special people in Minnesota...but somehow our hearts are growing to let all of this in, too.

But its not happening too fast. We are given plenty of time for travel recovery (there is no short or easy path to the village) and transition. So, I've done a few hikes, finished a baby blanket, made music and read some books while the princess has made so many friends, hiked a few miles, knit a few rows, taken art classes and eaten some ice cream!

I miss being able to call people and hear familiar voices. But I do not miss my phone and really do not miss seeing people with devices constantly in front of them. The simplicity and integrity of this places grows on me every single day.

And I leave you with this quote from Martin Luther that was used in the Vespers service the day after we arrived. It had already been one of my very favorites, but it hit me hard and has stayed with me this week especially...

"This life, therefore, is not righteousness but growth in righteousness, not health but healing, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not yet what we shall be, but we are growing toward it. The process is not yet finished, but it is going on. This is not the end but it is the road. All does not yet gleam in glory but all is being purified."



No comments:

Post a Comment